Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tutorial Tuesdays - Lush CoalFace


I have always had pretty decent skin... until I hit my mid 20's. Once I hit that milestone for some reason (wearing more makeup, stress, hormones, pollution ... who knows and who cares) my skin was breaking out and it was gross. I successfully meandered my way through my teens with nearly flawless skin and as a responsible adult couldn't keep my skin clear to save my life. It wasn't just my face either but my chin, neck, ears, shoulders,back... ect. Don't get me wrong this was not all at once and no I don't look like a leper (even though some days that is what I felt like). Like so many others I have tried some crazy things... some of those things were crazy expensive too. They work for a second but then I would go right back. So I started to experiment here and there. LUSH has some amazing products and they are all natural... which I loved BUT outrageously expensive. I came up with an easy version of LUSH's CoalFace... be prepared to be stoked!

Price at LUSH : 13.95 for 3.5oz                   DIY Price: abt 1.50 for 8oz. 

What you will need:
  • 1 Cup - Coconut Oil 
  • 6 capsules - Activated Charcoal
  • 2 Tablespoons  - Baking Soda
That is it... seriously... that is all you will need. They have a few more products to their wash but mostly just fillers. 

Mix It Up:
First, start with half of your Coconut Oil in a bowl. If you have never used coconut oil don't freak out that it is solid, this is one of the things that makes this work so well. Coconut Oil has a higher melting point, is mild on the skin and has antibacterial properties to it. 

Second, add in your charcoal by removing them from the capsules, I had to cut mine open so it can be a little messy but cleans up a lot better than I was expecting. You can find Active Charcoal at most health food stores or Pharmacy's. It may be difficult to find so ask around. No please do not use Charcoal Briquettes or Aquarium filters... you would not believe some of the looks I got while on the hunt. I was able to find it and man was it worth it! The charcoal, just like if you were ingest it, purges the gunk from your pores AND helps them shrink back down. 

Finally add in the Baking Soda and last bit of Coconut Oil. Mix it up really well and transfer into a dish you want to sit on your bathroom counter. 

HOW THE HECK DO YOU USE THIS MESS?! 
I'm sure you are wondering how you use this black solid messy looking face wash. I will admit when I first added the charcoal I was a little freaked out... "Great. What the heck have I got myself into now!?" was the actual thought that went through my mind. 


  1. Use a warm washcloth to open up your pores and to wipe any excess dirt or makeup off your face. If you don't get it all off don't worry the oil wash does a great job even with waterproof mascara!
  2. Take a small amount at a time and wipe on your face. Create a nice even coat that isn't too thick to the point of it running down your face. Apply it like a mask and avoid your hair, eyes and mouth. Let it sit... I go about with other things like brushing my teeth, removing the week old nail polish or doing squats... really anything that only lasts a few min. 
  3. To remove the wash just use the same washcloth soaked in warm water to gently wipe the concoction from your skin. 
Rinsing your face by splashing water on it will only make a mess and will get you nowhere. Again you are using oil to extract the oil and dirt from your pores and basic chemistry tells us that water and oil don't mix. Using a warm wet washcloth to wipe the excess away will be sufficient enough. With your face clean you most likely won't need any moisturizer and your skin should be able to regulate its own oil production at that point. However if you have really dry skin you may need to put a small, I mean REALLY SMALL, dab of plain coconut oil on your finger and gently spread it under your eyes and even it out over your face and neck.

**** DISCLAIMER****

If the charcoal mix is too harsh for your skin try just using plain coconut oil in between the days you use the mix. Coconut Oil is great as a stand alone and will clean out your pores by itself. The Baking Soda acts as an exfoliant and an extractant and the Charcoal works deep in your pores to purge the gunk. 

You might see some of your pores react to the purging, just like getting a facial from a spa, and have pimples come to head or come from nowhere. If so try the wash for about a week, if you still are not seeing your skin clear up then discontinuation of use might be necessary. I am not a doctor and all I can speak on is personal experience and basic chemistry. 

DIY-er Extraordinaire
DaniD

No comments:

Post a Comment