Wednesday, April 17, 2013

DIY Wednesday: The Workout Shirt



So I may or may not have a slight addiction to working out... hey don't judge, I'm not a complete "Lunk" and I do think there are some pretty funny stereotypes when it comes to fitness "bunnies"...




So now that that part is taken care of on to the Work Out Shirts. I have 3 Styles to show all of you! The Racer, The Bow & The Keyhole.

What you will need: 


  • Scissors
  • Large T-Shirt (larger than you normally wear, if you wear a large use an XL or XXL)
  • Ruler, if you are perfectionist like me
  • Pencil (or an invisible ink fabric pen)
The Skinny Racer:

1.Line up your Shirt flat on the floor
2.Use your Pencil to mark even spots under the arms & how deep you want your neckline to go
3.Fold in half, pencil markings facing out for obvious reasons.Pull tight while cutting to avoid wrinkles and mistakes. I use my knees to pin one end down and pull it tight with  my opposing hand
Cut out the arms
4.UNFOLD and Refold 
5.Cut out neck starting at low point of neckline, come up in an angle for your V-neck
Once up to the shoulder seam next to the collar just cut off the remainder of the collar in the back
6.Use fabric from arms to make a long string
7.Gather fabric on the back of the shirt, where your shoulder blades will be
8.Tie one end of string wrap around tightly and tie off at top tucking in both ends of the string
9.Clean up any edges! 

The Bow:

1.With front of shirt facing down slide a large flat piece of cardboard in between layers
2.Use pencil and ruler to draw out 4 lines equal distances apart, about 2-3" tall. Make lines between 7-10"" in width, this is up for your personal preference of big or little bows.
3.Cut out lines for bows. 
4.Use extra fabric from arms, or if you rather keep the arms use ribbon or remnant fabric.
5. Tie middle of each section to create a bow effect and tuck in any strings
6. Clean up any edges

The Keyhole: 

1.Lay T-Shirt flat on the floor
2.Draw out with your pencil, or if you have invisible fabric ink that works best because it is easier to see. 
3.Trace out your racer back, I used one of my Workout tops I had already or you can use a sports bra. It doesn't have to be the same width, as a matter of fact it probably wont, you can continue the arm holes and neck line with a ruler.
4.Trace out your Key hole shape UNDER your Racer back. For me I did a half moon but you can get creative and do something else. 
5.Finish up by clearing the neckline and sleeves as followed above
Optional:
Take bottom hem and fold in half FRONT TO BACK
Use ruler to cut an angle, front being 2-4 inches above the hem and back being right at the seam of the hem. 
Flatten back out front facing up and round out any edges on the bottom hem for that Hi-Lo look


Let me know how they look!! I would LOVE to see what you all come up with! Tag us on Pinterest, Facebook,Twitter or Instaghram! 


Your Fitness Bunny,
DaniD 

  




No comments:

Post a Comment